Sunday, June 20, 2010

Clifford William Johnson Desk Calendar...and Diary 1959



















Grandpa still did a bunch of work for members of the Eccles Family and had many of the same clients as previous years, scattered with a few new ones:

W. Eccles, Jack Shaw, Wolfer’s, Claire Anderson, Kidman, Pugmire, Officer’s Club, Hall, St. Benedicts, S.S. Eccles, Jenson, Janet Walker, Glade Hanson, Tribe, Hales, Wm. Eccles, Dr. Hales, Clark Rich Playhouse, Colorite Inc., Mrs. Joseph Eccles, Pincock’s Inc., Maruri, Conrad Monson, Boone, Southwick, Chas Ward, Elaine Austrian Studio, Concrete Block Co., Fletcher Scoweroft, Milton Berlin, Melvin Smith, R. Pugmire, Peery, Jenson Smith, Lee Nicholes, Ridges, Threshold (Threshhold or Treshold), LeRoy Young, Southwick, Humpherys, Robt Morrell, Mrs. Bott, Fisher Hess, Warren Inc., Jack Millard, Janet Ellis, Jackson, Fister, Mrs. Jim Scoweroft, M. Layton, Mrs. Horbertson, Institute of Religion – Weber College, Lyman Pierce, Haas.

Jun 11th (Fri) 1959: Grandpa went to Grand Junction.

I did a search on the internet for photos of Grand Junction in 1959 and found these two photographs from July 4th, 1959 that show the picnic grounds directly across the street from the Gin on Highway 57. These photos give you a small idea of what things would've looked like when Grandpa went there.











Sept 24th (Thur) 1959: I found this journal entry interesting because so far Grandpa hasn't recorded any addresses in his journals that I've noticed, but on this day Grandpa did a job for a Mrs. Bott at 3046 Polk in Ogden. The job is described as: Estimate Gross Cloth Bed Rm 4 walls to Door Tops.

I did a seach for the address and here's what the house looks like present day:

















Oct 16th (Fri) 1959 to Oct 18th (Sun) 1959: Grandpa went deer hunting.























Dad would've been 18 on this hunt. I remember Dad mentioning he went deer hunting with Grandpa on occasion, but he never really cared for the actual hunt. He preferred the camping part of the trips much more.

As a side note, when I was a teenager and Grandpa passed away I inherited his only deer antler trophy:
















Grandpa shot this deer in 1946 and I have the deer tag swirled away somewhere in all the Family History. When I find it I'll see if it has an exact date for the shooting and I'll cross reference it with his 1946 journal. It'd be interesting to see what his exact notes for that day were, if it's even recorded. I'll do a special post with that info when I find the tag.

I want to have these antlers mounted on a nice plaque with the tag and a picture of grandpa with his gun that I have. I've adopted Dad's attitude about hunting, so this will probably be the only hunting trophy I'll ever have.

Nov 23rd (Mon) 1959: Grandpa did some work for the Weber College Institute of Religion.

Did you ever think you'd see Grandpa's signature in pink pen?

Well, here it is!






Happy Father's Day!

No comments: